Class Schedule and Topics
- 08/28 A Scriptural view of Scripture
- 09/04 The three covenants
- 09/11 The covenant of grace
- 09/18 Using historical confessions
- 09/25 The five points of Calvinism
- 10/02 Predestination and evangelism
- 10/09 History, mission, vision, and values
- 10/16 Presbyterian ministry structure
- 10/23 Church membership in the Bible
- 11/06 Living the membership vows
- 11/13 What is worship and liturgy?
- 11/20 The Lord’s Table
- 12/04 Baptism
- 12/11 Infant baptism
- 12/18 Listening for the Big Idea
- Essentials Syllabus
Essentials is an ongoing Sunday school class taught by our pastoral staff in the Sanctuary.
- Some will attend because they are considering church membership, even if they've been attending for months (or years). This class is not a requirement for church membership; you may request a membership interview at any time.
- Some will attend to learn about and critique the Reformed (that is, Calvinistic) theology of our church.
- Some will attend to get a feel for Sunday school before they select their long-term class.
Essentials follows our regular Sunday school schedule. Lessons rotate in four core categories: Bible knowledge, Christian doctrine, history of Christianity, and the vision of Covenant Presbyterian. Each morning we begin a new lesson, so you can come and go as you please. Topics are posted above.
Essentials is a point of entry for the Sunday school ministry of CPC. Ultimately, one of the other Sunday school classes will be a better place for long-term care and friendship-making.
Sometimes sermon discussion is a part of an Essentials class. Sometimes a member of the staff or an elder or deacon will introduce themselves and a ministry to the Essentials class.